I’ve been installing/reinstalling/testing a lot of browsers recently, so I thought I’d provide a little bit of data back to the programming community.
I tested on two different computers — my venerable Dell laptop and my largely MSI-powered gaming PC.
- The newest Opera 10 build on Linux does not like the SunSpider benchmark. Understandably, it’s a benchmark put together by the WebKit browser team, but still — it performed about as bad as I’d suppose Internet Explorer would (were it to run on Linux). I ran it twice just to make sure, and it was about 10k milliseconds each time.
- Chromium, whether it’s on Windows XP, or the pre-alpha build I’m using on Linux, is pretty damn fast. Like scary fast. Though, like I said, it is their own benchmark.
- Seamonkey on Linux is consistently faster than Firefox 3.1b3 on Linux. I have no idea why, since they’re supposed to be powered by the exact same engine.
- I tried running this test in Internet Explorer 6.0 via Wine, on Ubuntu. I figured it’s not exactly emulation (since Wine Is Not an Emulator and all), but it kept freezing on one of the “base64” tests, and I got tired of waiting on it and killed the process. Imagine that.
Hardware: Dell Laptop, Pentium 4-M 2.6 GHz, 1.5GB DDR Ram
Software: Ubuntu 8.04 (x86)
- 10572.4ms: Opera 10 Alpha, Build 4214
- 8435.8ms: Flock 2.0.3
- 8171.8ms: Firefox 3.0.8
- 5243.6ms: Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (Shiretoko)
- 4701.4ms: Seamonkey 2.0 Alpha 3
- 1506.4ms: Chromium Dev Build
Hardware: MSI Mainboard, Athlon X2 2.5GHz (Brisbane), 2GB DDR2 RAM
Software: Windows XP SP3 (x86)
- 6930.8ms: Internet Explorer 8
- 2097.8ms: Firefox 3.1 Beta 3
- 952.4ms: SRWare Iron 2.0 (Chromium)